Skip to main content

Island of Broken Toys


It feels so good to be back home. It feels like home. We are surrounded by friends. Our social calendar has been more full since arriving than the entire time we spent in Kauai. I feel like I belong on the island of misfit toys. All the misfit toys return, Jeff, Molly, Jessica, Damien, Ashley, Tad, as well as those that never left. And it has yet to rain.

Included is a picture of sunset view from our home. On our first afternoon at home we saw dolphins in the bay as the sun was setting. Kauai had amazing scenery, but sunsets in Key Largo are stunning.

The best part is the food. A gallon of milk costs $2.50 as opposed to $9.50 at Big Save on Kauai. Happy Hour draft beers are $1.00. All grocery stores have a delicatessen with fresh slices deli ham starting at $3.00/lb. A gallon of regular gas is $2.10 a gallon. At restaurants you can get a huge homemade burger for about $8.00 including "lettuce", tomatoes, and french fries. Two huge fish tacos made with fresh mahi for under $8.00, not Costco frozen fish sticks (like Tom Kats Grill, Keoki's and other).

We still have a few papaya trees in our yard, bearing fruit. Locally we have a few fruit stands selling local produce every day at reasonable prices.

I feel grateful for my experience on Kauai. I hold it dear, but it is nice to be home. I do not feel like a haole and no waitstaff will ever ask, "what time does your flight leave".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dive the Vandenberg!

Brownie and I had a day off together and decided to head down to Key West. We left Key Largo around 6:00 am for the long ride south. We watched the sunrise to our east, ocean side, as we counted down the mile markers. Along the way we were always a few miles behind the rain which produced some great rainbows through the drive. We even saw a highly endangered Key Deer cross the road. I've drive to Key West many time over the years but had never been lucky enough to spot one. As expected we arrived at Captain's Choice in Key West about an hour early. It was nice not to be rushed. Checked in, chilled, until the boat was ready for passengers. It felt very odd not to be lugging tanks on the boat. You almost want to jump in and help, but I must admit it feels pretty good not doing all that work. After all, we were there to enjoy a great morning of diving. Soon enough we headed out and about 35 minutes later arrived at the mooring site for the Vandenberg . It looked like a...

Pihea Vista Trail

We finally had a day off together and my first day off in almost two weeks (13 straight days of work). It was great to go out there and enjoy the beautiful scenery Kauai has to offer. The other bonus was being able to take Niles out on a long walk with me. He wasn't to thrilled by the time we got to the Pihea Vista. It was a straight upward climb in the mud and he was already tired from the relatively easy part of the trail. I forget that the pup is getting old. He's a getting gray. I guess that what happens to a ten year old black dog. He really hated the part were I jogged back to the start ing point. I need to take easy on the old dog. I don't feel much like writing so I am just going to post some pictures of the beautiful vistas from the trail.

Ft. Vancouver National Parks Historic Recreations