Skip to main content

Leaving Paradise

We are less than 1 week away from leaving Kauai and heading back to the Keys. I have to admit that I am a bit sad. I know the move is in our best interest financially and overall, but there are still things that I will miss. I find myself trying to really look and take in as much of the island's beauty. As if I could really retain a small portion of it. I know I can't but I still try. The island's majesty can not even be adequately captured by camera or video. No medium can do it's majesty true justice.

I will miss the perfect temperature. I will not miss the rainy season or the daily rain. I will miss the lush green countryside and all the flora and fauna. I will not miss the screeching kids that live above us nor the banging of their little feet as the run continuously to and fro. I will miss the laid back atmosphere and casual pace. I will not miss being treated as a haole and outsider. I will miss the fruit trees in our yard, (mango, avocados banana, and lemon). I will not miss the bland, unimaginative, and terribly expensive local cuisine. I will miss the lovely trails and vistas. I will not miss the local ignorance of sustainable ocean policy. I will miss the people I got to know and respect. I will miss the spirit of individuality. I will miss the stunning underwater geological formations. I will miss hearing the whales when I dive. I will miss the indigenous marine life. I will miss the monk seals.

As I said I am sad, but I am also looking forward to our new adventure. We are returning to the Keys and plan on purchasing a home. The economic downturn has now made it possible for us to once again purchase a home. But this time we get to purchase a home and still dive for a living. That would never be possible on Kauai.

I hope to return sometime soon and enjoy all the things that I will miss about Kauai. It's been a wonderful experience overall. The island is a true garden paradise. No location is perfect but nature is nearly perfect on Kauai.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dive the Vandenberg!

Brownie and I had a day off together and decided to head down to Key West. We left Key Largo around 6:00 am for the long ride south. We watched the sunrise to our east, ocean side, as we counted down the mile markers. Along the way we were always a few miles behind the rain which produced some great rainbows through the drive. We even saw a highly endangered Key Deer cross the road. I've drive to Key West many time over the years but had never been lucky enough to spot one. As expected we arrived at Captain's Choice in Key West about an hour early. It was nice not to be rushed. Checked in, chilled, until the boat was ready for passengers. It felt very odd not to be lugging tanks on the boat. You almost want to jump in and help, but I must admit it feels pretty good not doing all that work. After all, we were there to enjoy a great morning of diving. Soon enough we headed out and about 35 minutes later arrived at the mooring site for the Vandenberg . It looked like a...

Pihea Vista Trail

We finally had a day off together and my first day off in almost two weeks (13 straight days of work). It was great to go out there and enjoy the beautiful scenery Kauai has to offer. The other bonus was being able to take Niles out on a long walk with me. He wasn't to thrilled by the time we got to the Pihea Vista. It was a straight upward climb in the mud and he was already tired from the relatively easy part of the trail. I forget that the pup is getting old. He's a getting gray. I guess that what happens to a ten year old black dog. He really hated the part were I jogged back to the start ing point. I need to take easy on the old dog. I don't feel much like writing so I am just going to post some pictures of the beautiful vistas from the trail.

Ft. Vancouver National Parks Historic Recreations